"There is nothing I love more than after a long day of chasing game around the mountains or desert of south east Utah to return to camp, my body exhausted and my energy expended, and have a warm, inviting Dutch oven meal waiting for me. Dutch oven meals are easy, require little prep work or clean-up, and always delicious."
From Forest to Food
Courtesy of Lindsey - A 12 Gauge Girl
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 jar maraschino cherries
1 can sliced pineapple, 20 oz
1 box cake mix
1/2 cup oil
1 box cheesecake instant pudding, 3.4 oz box
(1) Start dutch oven charcoals in chimney.
(2) Line a 10" dutch oven with aluminum foil. Melt stick of butter in oven and sprinkle cup of brown sugar over butter. Place pineapples and cherries in butter-sugar mixture in single layer.
(3) In large bowl, mix together cake mix, eggs, oil, cheese cake instant pudding, and juice from the pineapple can. Mix until batter is free of lumps, and silky smooth.
(4) Pour batter over pineapples. Spread batter evenly over entire dutch oven.
(5) On a flat, hard surface place 12-14 coals. Set oven on top of coals. On top of dutch oven add 15-20 coals.
(6) Let cake cook for one hour.
(7) Cake is ready when toothpick comes out clean. Flip cake and enjoy!
For additional tips and tricks (including videos), please visit A 12 Gauge Girl.