From Forest to Food
Courtesy of Lindsey - A 12 Gauge Girl
Elk Meatloaf Recipe with Caramelized Onions and Mushroom Thyme Gravy
Two pounds ground elk meat
6 Slices Italian Style Bread
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Tablespoon Fennel Seed
2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
2 Teaspoons Dried Thyme
2 Teaspoons Dried Sage
2 Teaspoons Dried Rosemary
1/2 Cup Tomato Juice
6 Cloves Minced Garlic
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
3 cups Dried Bread Crumbs, such as Panko
8 Ounces Baby Portabella Mushrooms
2 Cups Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
For Caramelized Onions
Two Large Onions, Sliced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Salt
For Mushroom Thyme Gravy:
2 Tablespoons Butter
8 Ounces Mushrooms
1/2 Large Onion, Sliced
1 Tablespoon Flour
2 Cups Beef Broth
2 Teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch with 1/2 Cup Water
1 Tablespoon Fresh Minced Thyme
Salt and Pepper to Taste
- For Caramelized Onion
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the sliced onions and allow to cook, slowly, for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, sprinkle the onions with the salt. Stir and allow to cook for an additional twenty minutes.
- Stir the onions occasionally. You will know they are finished when the onions are translucent and slightly browned on the edges. They should taste sweet.
- For the Meatloaf
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, break up the six Italian bread slices. Pour the half cup of milk over the bread and allow to soak. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large mixing bowl, add two pounds of ground elk meat. To the ground elk meat, add the fennel seed, sage, rosemary, oregano, and thyme. Mix everything once with hands.
- To the large bowl, add the minced garlic, tomato juice, Dijon mustard. Mix again.
- Finally, add the eggs and soaked bread crumbs. MIx everything thoroughly. Now start adding the dried bread crumbs cup by cup until desired consistency is reached. Meatloaf should be moist but hold together when formed into a ball in your hand.
- Spread the meat mixture onto a piece of wax paper, forming a large rectangle about an inch thick.
- On top of the meat mixture, lay the cheese, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. Using the paper to help you, roll the meat and toppings in a loaf and set on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for one hour.
- For the Mushroom Thyme Gravy
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and allow to sauté for eight minutes.
- Add the sliced onions and cook an additional three minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and onions. Using a whisk, dissolve the flour entirely in the juices and oils of the pan. Cook for one minute.
- Slowly add the beef broth and whisk constantly while adding. Bring the a gentle boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and allow to simmer for ten minutes.
- Add the cornstarch tablespoon by tablespoon until the gravy is desired thickness and is glossy.
- Remove from heat and add apple cider vinegar and fresh minced thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- To plate, cut yourself a beautiful slice of meatloaf and drench in mushroom gravy!
For additional tips and tricks, please visit:
A 12 Gauge Girl.