Serving Size: 4
3/4 cup warm water
1 and 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 large onion
2 Tablespoons olive oil (more if desired)
2 teaspoons salt (more if desired)
Optional: teaspoon of sugar
Flatbread Pizza Toppings
1 to 1 and 1/2 pounds of elk steak (your choice of cut, I used a flat iron)
1 Tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup arugula
1 cup cherry tomatoes
3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese
3/4 cup goat cheese feta
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. To activate your dry yeast, mix the yeast with the teaspoon of sugar. Pour the 3/4 cup of warm water over the mixture, and allow the yeast to foam. This will take about ten minutes. Add two cups of flour and the salt to the mixing stand bowl. Whisk together and create a well in the center of the flour. Once the yeast has foamed, add the yeast and olive oil to the flour and mix with a dough hook. Allow the dough to knead for about five minutes. If it is dry and crumbly, add more water or oil. If it too wet, add more flour a tablespoon at a time. Cover dough with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm area for one hour.
3. To caramelize the onions, thinly slice the onion. Coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and allow to cook for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle the onions with salt and allow to continue to cook for up to thirty minutes more, stirring often. If desired, the process can be enhanced with the addition of sugar or vinegar. Take care to not let the onions dry out or they will burn.
To reduce the balsamic vinegar, add a cup of vinegar to a small saucepan.
4. Bring the vinegar to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Stir often and let vinegar reduce by half, which can take up to ten minutes.
5. Grill pizza dough over medium high heat for one minute per side. Top with Monterey jack cheese and place in oven for eight minutes, or until cheese is melted.
6. Season steak with Montreal steak seasoning and cook in pan over medium high heat. Cook each side for about four minutes, depending on how you would like to meat done, and then cover with a tent foil and allow to rest for five minutes. Thinly slice.
7. Top flatbread pizza with arugula, sliced cherry tomatoes, caramelized onions, feta goat cheese, and steak. Drizzle with reduced balsamic vinegar.
Courtesy of A 12 Gauge Girl.